Friday, July 29, 2011

Good news

Took Cunha to the vet on Thursday. A trip that my whole family was dreading. Considering that we haven't been seeing any improvement, and Cunha seemed very unhappy we thinking that this was going to be it.

But when we arrived to the vet, they did some test and found out that Cunha has some deep pain sensation! This is a good thing considering when we first took him in he wasn't able to feel any pain or sensation in his back legs. According to the vet, this is a very good sign.

Next came the x-rays. The vet discovered that he has a compressed disc, and it's putting pressure on the spinal cord, which is causing the paralysis. We still don't know what has caused this, but we probably will never know. According to an article I read, Lhasa Apsos have a greater risk of having these kinds of back problems because of their longer body. Click here to read the article for more information

When my mom texted me I was very happy to know that Cuhna was coming home! He will have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks to see if anymore progress is seen, but in the mean time he is to be confined to a very small space with a limit amount of movement as possible. I realize this may seem harsh and mean, but it's same thing a person would do with an injured back.

My family decided it would be easier to bring him with us to the lake. We were originally going to leave him at the kennels, but I think it would just stress him out even more having us be gone for a week. So my mom is going to be him a little tub for him to hang out in so that he can be in the room with us and still get lots of love and attention from us.

Hoping for more good news in 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive