Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My poor puppy...

My family was gone all weekend and I noticed my dog, Cuhna, hadn't been acting himself. But I figured he was just moping around because he was stuck at home. Didn't really think twice when his energy level went down, and we had to pick him up in order to get him to go outside. My sister took him to the river, he played outside, did all the things he normally does.

But on Monday, I went to pick him up to take him for a walk. He greeted me like he usually does, jumping on me and licking my face, raced me to the car and off we went to the dog park. We get there and start walking, and I notice his unusual slow pace. Usually I'm the one having a hard time keeping up with him, but for once he was having a hard time keeping up with me. He didn't do his normal greetings to the other people we passed by, and had no interest in other dogs, unlike his normal happy behavior of needing to say "hi" to everyone.

I cut my walk short, realizing that I had left my inhaler at home so I turned around. Our walk was a normal walking speed we always do, and a normal distance. But by the time we got to the car I was literally dragging him back to the car. Noticing a funny limp I picked him up and carried him back to the car. We get home, and all of his energy is gone and didn't even want to jump out of the car to greet the neighbor across the street, again not like him at all.

Figuring that he was just tired and missing the rest of the family, I brushed it off and went home. 15 minutes later I get a text message from my sister saying that Cuhna couldn't walk. He was not able to walk on his back legs at all and the more this continued the worse he got, so we took him to the vet.

The diagnosis:
He is paralyzed from the waist down.
The cause:
Unknown




As you can see, he is unable to walk on his back legs. He's on some meds so he's not in as much pain anymore, and last night he was willing to eat. There is some hope that he will get better, but a 50/50 chance that he will be able to walk again. I will keep you posted as the week carries on and he goes back to the vet for a follow up appointment. In the mean time I'm trying to remain positive about the whole situation :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive