Sunday, July 17, 2011

A little leap of faith

Yesterday I went to my parents' house to visit Cuhna. My poor little dog was injured somehow about a week ago. I ended up needing to take him to the emergency vet and was in a lot of pain. He was not doing very good and thought this was it and it was time to say goodbye.

Luckily Cuhna has made a miraculous recovery. We gave him medicine including steroids, pain killers, anti-inflammatories, and pepcid. He is still not able to use his back legs but he's not in as much as pain as he was when we first took him. He is actually quite the opposite and starting to go back to his normal self.


When I arrived at the house he actually took the effort to crawling out of his bed and greet me as enthusiastically as he could. He follows you around the house, not wanting to be alone in a room by himself. He barks when the door bell rings. And he's back to his usual eating pattern. The only thing that hasn't changed is the fact that he doesn't have control over his bladder, and we fear that he may not ever have control of it.

I took Cuhna outside, and he loved it. He scooted around the yard sniffing all the different smells. In the process of this he spotted some deer. His ears perked up and he started yelping. He wanted to chase those deer so bad and tried doing so like he use to do.


Curious how he would do if he was able to walk again, my mom created this make-shift sling to hold his back legs up. He started off slow, trying to get use to moving around again, and then he took off fast, chasing after Braylon like nothing had ever happened to him.



By the time we were done, I was almost out of breath because, since I was holding his back legs up, I needed to be able to keep up with him. I was happy to see that he was so motivated to get up and walk around. This gives me hope that even though he is unable to walk, we can at least get him a little wheelchair, so he can continue his life happy once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive