Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Thanksgiving I will always remember, but hopefully never repeat

This Thanksgiving was definitely an interesting one. It went by fast and the next thing you know it was time to go back to work. But this year was different for me. While most people woke up Thursday morning to get ready for their feast of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy with many loved ones gathered around the table, I woke up early to say goodbye to a very good friend of mine.

It was just the morning before when my best friend, Michael Pablo, was in a bad car accident when the car he was riding in ran off the road, struck a tree, and rolled several times before landing upside down. He was transferred to the hospital where he suffered major brain damage. Things didn't get better, for he was declared brain dead the next morning. Not really the best way to start your Thanksgiving holidays, or any day really, but I went about my regular festivities.

Death is scary thing, especially when it's so unexpected. It's so unknown to us living and healthy people. It's hard to except and at first I didn't want to believe it. I kept thinking to myself, "am I dreaming?" And then once the shock wore off, my mind filled with questions. Why did it happen? Why him? Why did it have to be near Thanksgiving? How does someone just drive off the road? Why did he have to die?

I will never know exactly what happened that Wednesday on the morning of November 24th. All I know is that I'm going to miss Michael so much. He was my best friend. Someone who was always there for me. He will be greatly missed, but his memories will live on forever. Rest in peace Joseph Michael Pablo Jr. I will always remember you



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive