Friday, December 31, 2010

It ain't fair you died too young. Like a story that had just begun

As I'm driving South on highway 99, coming home from a short beach trip with the family, I made a quick pit stop just 5 miles short of Monmouth at mile marker 67; The location of the Micheal's accident. As I'm passing Monmouth, my heart rate starting to race. I felt sick to my stomach and almost nervous as I approached the crash site. I reached the spot and pulled over. I admire the memorial Michael's mom had put there just earlier that week and took a few pictures. I then look down the hill; the hill, where the car slide down and crashed at the bottom. I stood there, and the tears started rolling. Pieces of the car was still scattered everywhere, the field where the car had landed was still messed up. The tire treads were still very visible that led from the road, all the way down the hill. I started having visions, as if I was there at the site, when the accident happened. In between the sobs, I kept asking myself, "Why?"

That's when more questions came to my head. "What was the driver doing that caused him to just drive off the road? Did he fall asleep?" There were no other cars involved in the accident. The roads were clear, no ice, rain, snow or fog. The driver said he had looked down at his phone for about a second just before he crashed, but had he been texting while he was driving? How did the driver just get up and walk away from the accident with no injuries? Why did Michael have to die? Would Michael had lived if he had been driving??

My questions of course remain unanswered. I may never know what caused the accident. The driver was cited for reckless driving, so that right there tells me that something happened. Something the driver doesn't want to say. It makes me angry, but who knows maybe later on he will admit to his mistake. I know that it wont bring Michael back, but it would make me feel better knowing what happened and that the driver suffers the consequences of what he caused.

I hope everyone has a happy New Year. It will be weird for me to start the new year without my best friend. Things just aren't the same without him. Take care Michael and may your memories live on forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive