Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A lesson learned

In case you haven't already heard, I was in an accident over the weekend. It happened late Saturday, or more like early Sunday at about 12:30 in the morning. I had just finished up at the bowling alley with Tyrel and some of his friends. We didn't stay long, and soon after I was on my way home. Tyrel and I were in separate cars and as he drove ahead me, I lingered behind.

And that's when it happened. I was on 9th street sitting in the left turn lane to turn left on to Walnut Blvd. I had a green light and was about to go but then immediately chose not to because that's when I saw a car driving that was driving on Walnut. She drove right through her red light. She was about half way through the intersection when she decided to turn right, at which point she was facing me and continued driving, hitting me head on. I continued to sit there with my horn blaring. The girl then backed up, and continued to drive away. To my surprise, the next thing I see is a cop with his lights flashing, who had just witnessed the whole thing.

I still continued to sit there. Luckily no one was behind me because I seriously sat there for about a minute with the question of "What the hell just happened?!" I didn't know what to do. The cops chased after the girl that hit me, should I follow them? Should I get out and look at the damage? After awhile I gained my composure turned around and pulled over. I looked at my car, not seeing much damage, and picked up my phone to call Tyrel. I then continued to drive and drove to the location where the cops had pulled the girl over. Needless to say she was sited with a DUII, reckless driving, and failure to perform driver duties (Leaving the scene of an accident) and then taken to jail.

The next day day I started experiencing soreness, a stiff neck and dizziness. I'm still in quite amount of pain, and I'm dealing with getting a hold of insurance, filing a claim and following up the events of the accident. An annoying process but I'm glad it's getting taken care of. I keep rendering through that night. I'm glad I waited when I saw her coming, because if I had gone she could have T-boned me. I'm very lucky the cop was sitting there, saved me the trouble of needing to chase her down myself. I don't understand what was going through her mind to make her think she was able to drive after she had been drinking. I hope she is charged with a huge fine and has her driver license taken away.

The moral of this story should be obvious: DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!
It's not worth the risk of causing an accident. I'm lucky that I was able to walk away from this accident because I know there are people out there who are killed in accidents like this. There should be no accuse. If you have been drinking, don't get behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive