Thursday, August 18, 2011

RIP Cunha

Well yesterday was a sad day for me and my family. After almost 2 months of struggling with paralysis, I'm happy to say that Cunha is no longer suffering. He is no longer paralyzed and can run around as much as possible, chasing squirrels, deer and playing with cats. He is happy. And although we will no longer have someone to greet us at the door, someone to take on walks and hiking adventures, someone to play with, or someone to lay on your lap and take a little snooze I know that he is in a better place.


As we were driving to the vet, Cunha sat up front, with his head out the window, for one last time. I started to think to myself that this was it, I had to say good-bye to a wonderful friend of mine. The procedure happened and then he just layed there. I began to think if this was a good idea. If we had made the right decision. Then I heard the horrible two words come out of the vets mouth. "He's Gone." I then instantly felt a sense of guilt. Was it selfish of us to say good-bye? Are we bad people for doing this?? My mom reassured me. I feel this back legs, they are nothing but bones. All his muscle mass is gone. I can feel his hip bones. There are sores all over his butt and stomach area that could suffer from infection. Because he has no control over his bladder, we have to drain his bladder every 2 hours. In order for him to be in the house, he would need to wear doggie diapers. Even if there is some hope of him being able to walk again, we don't know how long it will take. It would be selfish of us to keep him alive and continue to live like this.

I start to feel better, and realize what we did was a good decision. I think about his quality life and think about how much he hated staying confined to his little box. How much he hated staying in the kitchen so he had limited amount of moving. He was not happy. I knew in my heart that Cunha did not want to live like this the rest of his life.


Goodbye Cunha. I'm going to miss you so much, but I know that you are in a better place. Rest in Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive