Saturday, June 11, 2011

A thing of the past?

I really don't like posting rants on my blog but considering this has to do with my lifestyle as a teacher, this would fit perfectly.

As I'm at work and watch interactions with parents and children I can't help but notice a certain behavior pattern. I try and communicate with the parent and they act like they don't care how their child's day went. If they misbehavedy they just brush it off like it's no big deal or they stand there laughing saying how cute it is.

So this leaves me with a question. Do parents discipline their children these days? Or do they let them run the house and make their own rules? When I first started my job I was shocked with the amount of disrespect they had towards me. It has taken me 3 months to finally get to where they can listen to me without them back-talking or saying "no" when asked to do something. I ask my supervisor about this and found out they do the same thing to their parents and they don't do anything about it!

Is disciplining a thing of the past? I wish someone would help me out. When you don't give your child structure and rules at home and then start them at school it is hard for them to adjust and brings a challenge to the teacher as well. Kids need consistency. All the work I do at school is thrown away once they get home, needing to start over from the beginning.

I know for a fact that if I acted like that towards my parents I got in HUGE trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. It is so sad to see how some children act towards adults in general and completely get away with it. It's almost like after awhile of you (as a teacher) laying down the rules they start to respect you more than they do their parents! Horrible.

    On another note, I heard that Susie will be teaching with you! That will be so fun for you guys! We miss you guys at Lil Beavs, but are glad for you getting a great teaching position =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently its the "thing" i had a brother and sister choke each other etc, and their paretns respone was " they are strong willed children" ya the lil boy is on the cliff with paretns not knowing where he is or he rides his scooter 2 miles on the hwy looking for his dad. its almost like parents are afraid of their kids. when i was growing up if i didnt do something i was in trouble. kids are definatly worse the last few years.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive