Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: My first turkey dinner



So some of you may have heard about my big turkey dinner I won. Everyone at work was entered into a drawing and if your name was pulled my boss provided us with a big turkey dinner, as a way of saying thank you. Well somehow my name was pulled and I brought home a whole collection of food as you can see in the top picture. I'm not much of a cook and have never cooked a turkey, or made mashed potatoes from scratch but I guess getting free food and one way to learn!

I provided green bean casserole for Thanksgiving dinner at my parents which was a huge hit as well as the cranberry sauce. Sunday was the day I decided to start cooking. I looked at the instructions on the back to figured out how hot the oven was suppose to be and to see if there were any tips on how to cook it (there wasn't). I then lathered up the turkey with lots of butter and garlic salt, put it in a 13 x 9 inch pan, set the oven, covered it with tin foil and let the turkey bake. It was a 13 lbs turkey and a website online said it was going to take 4 and 1/2 to 5 and 1/2 hours! So glad I put the turkey in early on Sunday

 

As it was cooking I did a web search and found a website about turkey roasting for dummies. (Ok the website didn't really say dummies, but that's how I felt haha) It told me to check it every 45 minutes and to keep doing this until the internal temperature reached 180 degrees. Uh oh... I don't own a cooking thermometer so when the 4 hour mark came I would just slice it open to see if it had been cooked all the way and if "the juices ran clear" according to the instructions. I had help from Tyrel but he approved of the coloring after 5 hours so I called it good.

I had to look up a recipe for mashed potatoes and the stuffing was the instant stuff so it was super easy. Overall great learning experience. I've been sick so everything taste kind of bland to me, but Tyrel approves!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive