Sunday, March 15, 2015

Life in Salem

It's been 4 months since our move to Salem. And although it was very difficult leaving my home town, a town both Tyrel and I grew up in, filled with friends and loved ones, we are happy with our decision. We both like our new jobs as well as the area we live in. It's definitely different then Corvallis. Having it be a bigger city there is more traffic obviously. I've also noticed how different the people are as well. People here are jerks and it definitely shows while driving. Speed limits mean nothing. Even though I go the speed limit people insist on tail gating me, and quickly pass me, only to cut me off to go directly in front in me. If you are stopped and don't speed up to the speed limit within 5 seconds you get lots of disgruntled looks and rude hand gestures. I've seen people drive through red lights cause they are in too much of a hurry to stop, as well as turn left on red lights. Most people don't slow down in school zones and merging lanes is a dangerous task. You definitely have to be a defensive driver driving through Salem.

Other then the horrible drivers, we really like living in Salem. We are close to everything, including best buy and other food places we frequently visit and more options for shopping, including two malls. The only hard part about living here is not knowing anyone. You would think being in a bigger city it would be easy meeting new people, but it seems it's harder to meet new people the older you are. Overall I feel I've found a new place to call home and wouldn't mind finding a "permanent" residence here. Maybe not directly in Salem but somewhere in the area. During our frantic search for a place a live we both rather enjoyed Keizer, Silverton, Woodburn and Stayton. Who knows what the future will hold but I look forward to finding out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive